2023 Best Practices for Medical Device and CRO Website Design
Medical device and CRO websites bridge the gap between OEMs, suppliers, and researchers. The design, structure, and content of these platforms play a pivotal role in enhancing communication, guiding decisions, and ultimately influencing healthcare outcomes. Drawing insights from MVP Marketing + Design’s collaborative website design projects with Formacoat, a leading manufacturer of hydrophilic and hydrophobic medical device coatings used in a variety of applications such as stents, catheters and implants, and NAMSA, a leading medical device contract research organization (CRO), here are ten fundamental website design best practices to consider:
- User-Centered Design: This design philosophy prioritizes the needs, preferences, and behaviors of the website’s target audience. Instead of just presenting information, user-centered design focuses on how the user interacts with and perceives the content. For instance, MVP’s collaboration with Formacoat ensured the site was structured to intuitively cater to the needs of its OEM customers seeking a snapshot of the company’s coating capabilities, e.g., devices, types and, in particular, stent-related expertise.
- Mobile Responsiveness: Websites must adjust and look optimal across various device sizes—from desktop monitors to mobile phones. MVP exemplified this in their approach for NAMSA, ensuring consistent visual appeal and functionality irrespective of the device used. MVP’s design and development team were challenged with the most efficient way in which to convey a multitude of the client’s capabilities, an FDA test navigator with compound filters for over 1,000 protocol combinations, and learning resources on any mobile device. Be sure to visit the site on your cell phone to see how we accomplished it.
- Clarity of Visual and Verbal Communications: This principle focuses on delivering information in a straightforward and easily digestible manner both visually and verbally. The NAMSA and Formacoat projects transformed complex technical information into eye-catching visuals and clear and concise informational segments to ensure that users can quickly grasp key concepts. Whether it’s NAMSA’s engaging use of Operating Room home page video as well as an extensive resource and learning section or Formacoat’s coating-like visual imagery, both sites seamlessly integrate imagery and text in an interactive format that encourages the visitor to learn more.
- Secure Data Protection: With growing digital threats, websites must employ stringent measures to safeguard users’ data, especially sensitive medical information. Best practices dictate avoiding the storage of sensitive information in easily accessible public domains. Furthermore, adherence to international regulations like GDPR (General Data Protection Regulation) for European users and CCPA (California Consumer Privacy Act) for state residents is crucial. Websites should be transparent about the usage of user information and take responsibility for its protection. Lastly, websites must ensure that users are provided with options to give their explicit consent for information tracking and be granted the ability to request the removal of their data when desired.
- Regular Content Updates: With rapid advancements in medical technology and treatments, it’s crucial for medical device websites to remain current. Regularly updated content ensures users stay informed with the latest breakthroughs and guidelines. Best practices for staying abreast include the maintenance of regularly updated blogs and news sections that cover the latest breakthroughs, innovations, and guidelines in the field as well as key company developments and tradeshow participation. These sections not only ensure that users are always informed but also underscore the company’s commitment to knowledge sharing and industry advancements.
- Accessibility: Medical device and research companies, in particular, should prioritize ADA (Americans with Disabilities Act) compliance. Such compliance ensures that web content is accessible to everyone, including those with vision, hearing, cognitive, or motor impairments. MVP’s design principles go beyond just alt text for images and voice-over compatibility; they highlight a comprehensive approach to ensure seamless access for every user, emphasizing inclusivity and equal opportunity. Today, options for ADA compliance range from third-party plugins to onsite code modifications. Please contact us to learn which approach is best suited for your particular project.
- Engaging Content: Beyond factual information, the inclusion of interactive elements like videos, animations, and testimonials can foster a deeper connection with users. MVP’s NAMSA project offers such immersive video content on the Home page and in its extensive Resources section, enriching user experience and understanding.
- Integration with Other Platforms: This involves syncing the website with other digital tools or platforms, enhancing its utility. For instance, MVP designed, developed and integrated tools like the NAMSA Medical Device Test Navigator to simplify the maze of FDA tests required for various global regulatory pathways. Ask yourself if your site similarly puts users on the right path for regulatory approval.
- SEO friendliness: Ensuring a medical device website is SEO-friendly is fundamental for its online visibility and discoverability. A well-optimized site will rank higher on search engine results pages (SERPs), thus attracting more organic traffic. Key aspects of SEO include optimizing meta tags, mobile responsiveness, improving site speed, and structuring URLs correctly. These elements not only enhance the website’s search engine ranking but also improve the user experience by making the site more navigable and faster. MVP designs sites with SEO in mind, addressing meta tags optimization, mobile responsiveness, site speed enhancement, and correct URL structuring, laying a solid foundation for optimal search visibility. This SEO best practice work ensures that the websites are well-poised for search engine visibility, thereby increasing the likelihood of attracting a larger audience interested in medical device and CRO solutions.
- Branding & Visual Identity: More than aesthetics, a consistent visual theme conveys the brand’s identity and company values. MVP’s cohesive branding efforts for both Formacoat and NAMSA ensured immediate visual recognition and trust-building. In the case of Formacoat, MVP leveraged the client’s logo through coating-inspired imagery, which has been applied to a wide variety of online and offline resources including marketing collateral, tradeshow displays and advertising. Moreover, the MVP-derived tagline “Making the Tools of Medicine Run Smoother,” has helped Formacoat communicate its brand uniquely to a global audience.
In conclusion, excellence in medical device and contract research organization (CRO) website design demands a keen understanding of both medical device manufacturing nuances and digital marketing best practices. MVP Marketing + Design, with its wealth of brand-to-web design and development experience, including more than three decades supporting 3M’s Healthcare group on a wide variety of wound care related marketing communications, is an exemplary player in this realm. For those looking to refine their digital footprint in medical device manufacturing and CRO marketing, a partnership with MVP promises transformative results.
About MVP Marketing + Design, Inc.
Established in 1985, MVP Marketing + Design, Inc. is an award-winning branding, website design and digital agency with offices in Minneapolis and Boston. With over 38 years of experience, MVP has established itself as a leader in branding, website design and development, digital marketing (including SEO, PPC, and social promotion), and videography services. The agency has successfully served a diverse range of clients, including 3M and its Consumer, Healthcare, and Industrial groups, as well as lower middle market manufacturing organizations in related verticals along with a wide variety of private equity firms and their portfolio companies, investment banks, and professional services firms in law, consulting as well as non-profits. To view some of our brand-to-web work in the Medical Device and CRO sectors, please click here.
At MVP, we take considerable pride in our ability to provide innovative and trend-setting services that push the boundaries of marketing, design, and technology, resulting in exceptional outcomes for our valued partners.
Our commitment to excellence has earned us numerous accolades, including recognition from prestigious awards such as the Communicator Awards, Davey Awards, Hermes Awards, and MARCOM Awards, among others. We are proud to be recognized as a WordPress VIP Silver Agency and a HubSpot Partner.
To learn more about how MVP Marketing + Design can help your business thrive, please reach out to us at firstname.lastname@example.org.